JOB POSTING: Uvagut TV - Senior Translator
Closing date: Monday, November 22, 2021
Location: Montreal (working remotely from other locations in Canada also possible)
Hours: Permanent part-time position(25 hours per week)
Compensation: $28 - $32 per hour (depending on experience)
*Priority will be given to Inuit or Indigenous candidates*
Uvagut TV is looking for a part-time (20 hours per week) Senior Translator skilled in Inuktitut / English translation.
The Senior Translator will lead on translations for Uvagut TV including subtitling for programs and program promotions, social media posts, website, press releases and transcripts. Translation will be primarily from English to Inuktitut for program subtitling, program information, press releases, and social media, and Inuktitut to English for transcripts.
The Senior Translator will ensure high standards of translation and subtitling of promotional information and programming for Uvagut TV’s national television audience.
Working with the Uvagut TV team, the Senior Translator will also be responsible for hiring and managing contract translators for work in additional Inuktut dialects. Effective project management skills and experience working with collaborative creative teams is a priority.
Duties and responsibilities include:
● Translating social media and online promotional texts;
● Working with editing and production teams on subtitling for productions and on-air promos;
● Creating translations for written material and documents;
● Developing strategic scheduling and workflow to ensure project deadlines are met;
● Hiring and managing additional (contract) translators on as-needed basis; and
● Working collaboratively with Uvagut TV team members in Nunavut, Montreal and Vancouver to ensure high quality translations.
Skills / Experience:
● Minimum 3-5 years experience as a professional translator (Inuktitut / English)
● Proficiency in South Baffin dialect
● Familiarity with Inuktut dialects from across the Arctic
● Excellent ability to work with teams (remote and in-person)
● 2-3 years experience with project coordination or project management
● Well-organized and able to multitask
● Project management and coordination experience
● Self-motivated and able to work well independently
● Interest in television production and Inuktut media
● Passion for Inuit language, culture and using media to promote language revitalization and reclamation.
About Uvagut TV
Uvagut TV is Canada’s first national Inuktut television channel and has been on the air since January 2021. Uvagut TV broadcasts 90% in Inuktut and is available to 600,000 Shaw Direct satellite subscribers throughout Canada, Arctic Co op’s Cable subscribers in Nunavut and NWT and FCNQ subscribers in Nunavik. Viewers around the world can stream the service online 24/7 at www.uvagut.tv
Uvagut TV is owned and operated by Nunavut Independent Television Network (NITV), an Inuit owned non-profit founded in 1991 in Igloolik as a media arts centre. NITV is dedicated to the enhancement and preservation of Inuktut and Inuit culture through the creation and exhibition of Inuit video art, linking Nunavut communities through Internet television channels, local access internet-TV, media training and digital literacy initiatives, the production and distribution of Inuktut video and film — and now broadcast television.
HOW TO APPLY
If this opportunity interests you please send a current resume, with links to previous work if available, and a cover letter by end-of-day Monday, November 22, 2021 to Cecilia at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your time, but only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.